Whanganui High School is a modern, state funded, co-educational school of approximately 1500 students and over 160 staff, which prides itself on caring for individual students in a quality academic environment.
The school provides a balanced education for its students from Year 9 through to Year 13.
The school's facilities are excellent and purpose built to deliver the NZ curriculum.
Students are taught and extended at a level appropriate to their needs.
All seniors work towards National Qualifications including the National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA).
Students achieve these qualifications at a much higher rate than nationally.
Promotion of the Arts
- Quality facilities support Art, Design, Drama, Dance, Photography and Music.
- All students have the opportunity to be involved in various competitions and performance opportunities throughout the year.
Recreational and Sporting Opportunities
- The school facilities include extensive sports fields, two gymnasiums, weight training, all weather tennis/netball/hockey courts, sand volleyball court and numerous other specialist facilities.
- Both winter and summer sports are extremely well catered for with inter-school fixtures at both Junior and Senior level.
Safe and Caring Environment
- Facilities include a comprehensive Guidance Suite offering Counsellors' rooms, Deans' interview rooms and a Nurse's room attached to the purpose-built Student Centre.
- The school's guidance structure focuses on the support of students and their families. Students are known as individuals and are supported and advised on an ongoing basis. Highly effective systems are in place which help to ensure that the school's expectations in terms of behaviour are met, and that parents are kept informed.