(Photo: Athletics Team 2018)
- Background - Whanganui High School has a very strong athletics programme, and we are now ranked 4th = in New Zealand after our performances at the 2018 Athletics Nationals in Dunedin where we won 6 medals, and two of our students made the NZ Secondary Schools' team. Athletics also acts as a conditioning base for other codes within the school and many athletes within the programme have gone on to represent the school at high levels in other codes due to their excellent conditioning.
- Structure - As well as our annual athletics sports, Whanganui High School students compete and train through the school. We have a year-round programme with emphasis on Athletics in summer and Cross Country and Conditioning during winter. This also fits in with winter sports requirements especially for juniors.
- Competitions - Club nights are every Tuesday evening Terms 1 & 4, 6.30pm at Cooks Gardens. Club nights will start for the school team on Tuesday 29 January.
School Athletics this year (whole school, year 9-13) will be held at Cooks Gardens term 1 on Thursday 21 February.
Whanganui Secondary Schools competition is on Wednesday 13 March.
North Island Championships are in Tauranga on 5-7 April and the N.Z.S.S Champs are in Wellington on 6-8 December 2019.
- Training Days for the season starts first week of school and will be held every Monday and Thursday from 3.15pm at school and Saturday mornings 9.30am at Cooks Gardens or other venues. There is an entry level and performance group to suit age and experience.
- Cost: $45 per student for membership to Athletics Wanganui for club competitions.
- Contact: Mrs L Murphy for details or behind the gym on training days @ 3.15pm.
- Teacher-in-charge: Mrs L Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coach: Greg Fromont