Fees and Accommodation
The tuition fee covers four or part terms from the starting date for the student. Included in the school fee are the cost of class fees, textbooks, the international student photo, the yearbook and the orientation course at the start. All prices are in New Zealand dollars. You can download an application form from here:
Standard Year Course: NZ $14,500
This course is normal starting course for international students, includes at least 4 academic classes, plus up to 2 classes of English a week. Two terms - $7,250; Three terms - $10,875.
Premium Year Course: NZ $16,000
This course is designed for new students who require intensive language support in their first year, includes up to 5 classes of English a week, full immersion. Two terms - $8,000; Three terms - $12,000.
Short Course: NZ $435 per week
One Term or less
Administration Fee :
NZ $1300 - for long term students (over 6 months)
NZ $650 - for short stay (6 months or less).
- Helping to arrange the homestay
- Meet and greet the student at Whanganui Airport
- Set up a bank account
- Orientation programme
- General administration
NZ $555 - Travel and health insurance for 1 whole year (recommended for all students who a staying 1 school year/45 weeks or more)
NZ $520 - Travel and health insurance for 11 months (for students staying less than 1 year)
All students must have full insurance (personal effects, health and accident insurance). We use and recommend UNI-CARE. If providing your own insurance, please supply the school with a copy in English of your policy details, once purchased.
Homestay Fee: NZ $11,475 (for a full academic year of 45 weeks or $255 per week for a part of a year)
The homestay fee covers the following:
- All the expenses involved in living as a member of a family
- Provision of a single room for the student
- All Meals
- All homestays are visited and assessed in advance by the school.
The homestay fee does not include:
- School uniform (maximum of NZ $600)
- Holidays away from the homestay, or holidays that involve extra expense for the homestay parents.
- Personal spending (between $NZ50 and $NZ70 per week). Parents may pay personal funds to the school and the school will set up a bank account whereby a set amount will be automatically paid into the student's account each week.
- Toll calls
Refund of Homestay Fees: (Based on all homestay fees paid up front)
If you move out of your homestay before the end of your contract, the portion of your homestay fees not already used will be returned to you.
To have your homestay fees returned, your parents must write to the Board of Trustees giving two weeks' notice, or pay two weeks' fees in lieu of notice.
If you cancel your homestay contract before you move into the homestay, your fees will be refunded in full less an administration fee.
If you request a change of homestay, then the original homestay will receive two weeks' fees in lieu of notice.
Optional Extra Costs
- NZQA External Examination Fee: NZ $384
- North Island 3 Day Trip: NZ $720 A three-day escorted tour around the centre of the North Island. The trip goes from Whanganui to Waitomo Caves and Rotorua, where students experience Maori culture, the luge, a farm show and Velocity Valley, before returning to Whanganui via Taupo (includes all entry fees, travel, food and accommodation).
- Wellington 3 Day Trip: NZ $375 A three-day escorted tour to Wellington. The trip goes from Whanganui to the Wairarapa then Wellington. It includes Mount Bruce Bird Sanctuary, Te Papa Museum, Weta Workshop and Adrenaline Forest. All entry fees, travel, food and accommodation is included.
- Air Chathams flight to Whanganui: NZ $170 Air Chathams flight to Whanganui with full concierge service. This includes a meet and transfer on arrival at Auckland International airport plus care of student until arrival in Whanganui.
- Auckland Meet and Transfer: NZ $100 You will be met at Auckland airport and transferred to the domestic plane for flight to Whanganui or Palmerston North.
- Palmerston North Meet and Transfer: NZ $100 You will be met at Palmerston North airport and transferred to Whanganui .
- Assistance to obtain student visa: NZ $50 If you require the school staff to help you obtain a student visa in New Zealand (the visa itself costs $310), we charge an admin fee.
- Assistance to obtain a student medical visa: NZ $50 Assistance to obtain a student medical for visa. If you arrive without a medical required for a student visa and ask the school staff for assistance (the medical itself costs about $370), we charge an admin fee .
- Guardian - a native-speaking guardian: NZ $2,500 who keeps parents informed and provides guidance to the student. It is mandatory for young students under 14 years old, and for students who have had behavioural or health issues at their previous school, to have a native-speaking guardian. It is recommended for any students who would like support in their first year at WHS. Guardians visit the homestay prior to arrival to discuss cultural differences, meets the student at the airport and introduces them to the homestay family. Helps with the purchase of school uniform, and assists student at school on their first day. Maintains regular contact with school and homestay, so progress can be monitored, keeps parents informed in their own language by sending a brief report each month, answers parents’ concerns by phone/email, represents parents if there are any problems. Takes student to the doctor, monitors student’s plans for any trips away or activities that require parental consent, and meets with the student regularly to check on their progress and well-being.
If you have a complaint, please contact the Director of International Students in the first instance. If you are unsatisfied with the response, please visit this website www.istudent.org.nz for free and impartial advice.
Mrs Brenda Rudolph
Director of International Students
Whanganui High School
Ph No. +64 6 349 0178
Fax No. +64 6 349 0176